What we do for Water Authority Amstel, Gooi and Vecht and the municipality of Amsterdam
Waternet works for the Regional Public Water Authority Amstel, Gooi and Vecht and for the municipality of Amsterdam. We provide a safe, clean and sufficient supply of water. This includes water for nature areas and human consumption. As our area lies below sea water level, we must ensure that its 1.3 million inhabitants are protected by our dykes.
What do we do for Water Authority Amstel, Gooi and Vecht?
- We treat sewage water and wastewater. And return it to nature.
- We ensure the safety of our dykes.
- We ensure proper water levels in the polders and nature. And we ensure the water flow is unobstructed.
What do we do for the municipality of Amsterdam?
- We treat tap water to ensure a clean water supply and we maintain the tap water pipes.
- We treat sewage water and maintain the sewage system.
- We ensure that the groundwater in Amsterdam is kept at the right level.
- We keep the canals clean and issue boating licenses.
- We manage many bridges and sluices in Amsterdam.
How we help our customers
We are committed to providing you the highest quality service. Therefore we work hard to continually improve our services. We want you to be able to manage your accounts as easily as possible via My Waternet.
Would you like to share your views about our website? The more we know about what does and doesn’t work for you, the better our website will meet your needs.
Waternet is dedicated to improving water quality and wastewater treatment across the globe via Wereld Waternet (World Waternet).
We share our knowledge and experience with local governments and water organisations. In return we also tap into their knowledge and experience. For example, this could include any part of the water management cycle:
- the supply of safe tap water
- the drainage, treatment and transport of wastewater
- keeping the surface water clean
- protecting the land against floods (flood control)